It’s a one dish meal packed with flavour and nutrition. Make for dinner and enjoy the following day for lunch, too.
3 Tbsp butter, divided
3 – 5 mushrooms, chopped
3 green onions, chopped
1 Tbsp. white or yellow onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 chicken breasts, diced into small pieces
1 cup long grain brown rice, rinsed
2 ½ – 3 cups water
1 ½ tsp. salt (or to taste)
1 ½ tsp. fresh ground pepper (or to taste)
2 cups fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a saucepan. Add mushrooms, green onions and white onion and sauté.
2. Add red pepper, celery and carrots and sauté.
3. Remove this vegetable mixture from the saucepan and place in a bowl, leaving juices in the saucepan if you can.
4. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and add the chicken pieces. Cook until lightly browned.
5. Place the vegetable mixture back into the saucepan along with the chicken. Stir in the rice, water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until the rice is done, about 45 – 50 minutes. Turn off stove.
6. Turn off the stove and fold in the spinach. Return lid and let sit for a few minutes.
Remove lid and enjoy!
* gluten free
* dairy free if you substitute the butter for oil (ie. sesame oil)
Recipe by Donna Sales from the Hope Café Kitchen.