Vegetables and fruit in a cake and still this moist and delicious? Absolutely. This is one fantastic recipe everyone will love (even if they don’t think they like zucchini).
½ cup maple syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup canola oil
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. nutmeg
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 ½ cups shredded carrot
1 ½ cups shredded zucchini
1 cup shredded apple
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
3 Tbsp. cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp. butter, softened
2 cups icing sugar
1 ½ Tbsp. milk, half and half or cream
½ tsp. vanilla
1. Butter and flour cake pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Beat eggs until slightly thickened. Add maple syrup, sugar and oil and beat again (but do not over beat).
3. Sift dry ingredients and add to wet ingredients. Blend until smooth.
4. Fold in carrot, zucchini and apple (nuts, too, if you are including them).
5. Transfer to cake pan and bake until cake springs back to touch or a toothpick can be inserted and removed clean. In a bunt cake pan this takes approximately 50 minutes, would require less baking time if using a flat cake pan.
6. For icing, beat cream cheese and butter together first then add remaining ingredients, blending thoroughly. Spread over cake once it cools.
Recipe by Donna Sales from the Hope Café Kitchen.