SO delicious and super nutritious, too. These amazing rolls make for a terrific snack, lunch, side dish or appetizer. If you haven’t worked with phyllo much and are a little hesitant, don’t be, it’s much easier than you think and a short video has been included to show how they are rolled up. Have fun and enjoy.
One package phyllo dough thawed to room temperature (16 ounces/454 grams)
600 grams of fresh spinach (approximately), coarsely chopped
5 green onions, finely chopped
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1 cup fresh mint, finely chopped (or 2 Tbsp. dried)
300 grams feta cheese, crumbled
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup lemon juice
2 tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Combine all ingredients thoroughly (except phyllo dough, of course)
4. Fold one sheet of phyllo in half. Place a large spoonful of the mixture at one end. Fold both sides in and roll up. Place on baking sheet and brush generously with melted butter.
5. Bake on lowest rack for 10 – 15 minutes, until the bottom of the rolls are brown and a little crispy. Broil the tops if needed to a golden brown colour.
6. Remove from oven, let sit for a few minutes and use a spatula to lift the rolls to a cooling rack.
7. These are so good when enjoyed hot from the oven. But are also yummy at room temperature or directly from the fridge, too.
*can be dairy free if the feta cheese is eliminated or substituted
Recipe by Donna Sales from the Hope Café Kitchen.
Let us know what you think of this recipe by sharing your comments below.
Share this recipe with friends! See options below.